Message from the Mountain and Building CommUNITY Capital Campaign Update
Celebrating 60+ years on the Mountain, this is an exciting time at Laurel Ridge! We welcomed 660 kids to camps this year; we have greeted over 2,100 guests at Higgins Lodge; and, the Building CommUNITY Capital Campaign is going strong with more than $640,000 raised from 110 donors AND a matching donor secured for restricted projects, like solar, that grows our total raised to over $840,000!
“When will projects begin?” Well, here’s an update!
- We are committed to our campaign promise to not incur any new debt in order to accomplish any of our projects. This means that we will not begin any projects until they are funded at a 75% level. We also hold ourselves accountable by making sure that there are enough funds in reserves to complete any started projects.
- We are committed to being great stewards of our donors’ gifts and Camp’s financial resources. Given the challenges with our local economy and supply chain demands, our general contractors have suggested waiting just a bit longer to start our projects – in hopes the cost of goods will trend down and materials will be more readily available.
- We are committed to Laurel Ridge being debt free in four years – by Dec. 31, 2026. Eliminating all debt allows Laurel Ridge to move forward as a financial asset for the Moravian Church Southern Province. Camp has not incurred any new debt in the last 5 years (since 2017) and is a financially sustainable ministry. Partnering with the Province, Laurel Ridge recognizes debt to the Southern Province and a mortgage on the Higgins Lodge Expansion, incurred during the Growing for a Lifetime Campaign. Creating a comprehensive strategy and following the plan to eliminate debt, we know our partnership with the Province is a win-win for both entities!
- We are committed to enthusiastically fundraising for Laurel Ridge. Although Covid continues to hang around, we are finally able to make plans to visit in-person with individuals and groups. With plans to bring the Campaign to a close next year, you will hear of opportunities to invite friends and colleagues to hear more about the exciting opportunities to partner with Laurel Ridge to secure our future and plan for the next 6 (and 60!) years!
- We are committed to a realistic timeline for project completion. We are currently receiving bids to begin our first Building CommUNITY Capital Campaign project, the installation of solar power generation at Higgins and Tise, now that incentives are available for non-profits. Throughout our construction timeline, we will work to minimize interruptions to programming and reservations.
- Solar Power Generation – installation is scheduled to begin 2nd Quarter of 2023
- Higgins Lodge Bishop’s Wing Renovations – construction scheduled to begin 4th Quarter of 2024
- Tise Renovations – scheduled to begin 3rd Quarter of 2025
- Debt Free – on plan to accomplish by the end of 2026
- Increasing Reserves and Growing Endowment – ongoing
While many camps and conference centers are closing their doors, Laurel Ridge has a plan in place to secure its future for years to come.
PS – We look forward to seeing you at Laurel Ridge over the next 6 weeks for Moravian Mountain Christmas, December 2-4 and Winter Camp, January 20-22, 2023.